Thursday, May 28, 2009

An Emotional Spa Day . . .

Yesterday was a VERY emotional day at the spa.  Before my wedding last October, I had my manicurist give me acrylic nails for the first time in my life!  I'm not gonna lie . . . kinda hurt. They use sharp tools and motorized nail files! It's a JUNGLE in there!  After going a few times for a monthly fill-in, however, I got used to the drilling and it became a lot more relaxing to get my nails done.   

Since wedding season has started and I am shooting more frequently, I have to keep my nails short so I can readily switch my camera's controls.  This last month, however, my nails grew almost double what they normally grow.  I always get the pink and white set for my nails so that it looks like I have a french manicure.  When I went to the spa yesterday and told my manicurist how much I needed cut off, she said, "I will give you a full new set because the white tips will be gone if I cut them any shorter."  Well, I was due for a new set anyway so I agreed.   

Instantly, my manicurist starts digging through her drawer, pulling out a SHARP tool.  "Oh boy . . . here we go," I thought.  As she clicks and peels, clicks and peels, she could tell I was getting a little squeamish.  Suddenly, she stops and says, "I'm afraid I'm going to hurt you.  Maybe you should soak your nails first."  Thinking that a nice little bubble bath for my nails was in order, I smiled and exclaimed, "Ok!"  

Sitting in such delight, I watch my manicurist make her way to the sink.  Strangely, she stops short of the faucet and pulls out a big bottle of ACETONE from the cabinet.  "What? What is going on?!" I think.  I phonically sound out 'acetone' in my head. "Ass-eh-tone, ACID-tone . . . I'm gonna DIE!" I silently freak out.  

Before I could mumble a word, my hands were being drowned into a cold bowl of chemicals! My fingers became numb and I began to lose skin sensitivity.  I was filling my body with chemicals . . . WITH CANCER!  I had to take a deep breath.  I had to think clearly and positive! "I cannot get cancer from removing my acrylic nails" I thought.  In my mind, however, I had to repeat this several times.  "Surely there would have been a swat team invasion on nail salons if this were illegal or dangerous to one's health," I reasoned.  I was suddenly feeling more calm about the situation.  

As I looked down into the cold bowl of chemicals, I could see my last remnant of bridal beauty dissolving away.  My heart began to break.  "Show's over, folks," I thought.  It's just me now.  No tan, no acrylic nails, no updo . . . I was me in my purest form.  As I lifted my hands out from the bowl, I could see my real nails peering through the acrylic.  It was like seeing an old friend. And then, suddenly, a feeling of exhilaration and freedom washed over me.  For the first time, I was seeing my wedding band on a hand that was completely mine . . . the one God made me.  I felt different.  I felt REALLY married.  I felt excited and happy!

As my manicurist sat down again to place on a new set of acrylic nails, I blurted out, "No, I think I like my hands the way they are." GASP!  Did I really just say that?  I could hear the earth cracking.  "I like myself the way I am??" I thought.  Looking at my nails again, I said, "Look at 'em.  They are kinda cute."  She smiled and agreed.   

As I left the salon, I couldn't stop looking at my hands.  You would think that I had just gotten engaged or something.  When my husband Nathan arrived home from work that night, I jumped out of my seat to show him my nails.  I told him all about the spa drama and that he wouldn't have to pay for my monthly manicure anymore.  He smiled and exclaimed, "Good!" Don't tell him I said this but his delicate flower plans on getting a monthly massage instead :) 

Ladies and gentleman, I unveil to you my real hand:

Photobucket
(cricket . . . cricket, cricket . . . )
I know . . . it's quite moving.